This year, families are likely spending more time in their backyards than ever. Spending more time outside means more encounters with insects and pests. While most pests are just a fact of life outside, no one wants them invading their outdoor living space. At Rentokil, we know that pests in your backyard are less than ideal. For this reason, we’ve gathered our top tips and tricks to make your yard less attractive to pests in general. Keep reading to learn how to get bug-free outdoor living.
Common Pests in Your Yard or Lawn
Here in Northern Utah, we are used to dealing with all types of pests all year long. However, the summer and early fall is known for its influx of insects. This includes right in your backyard! The most typical pests that invade properties in the area this time of year include:
- Lawn pests
- Bees, wasps, or hornets
- Boxelder Bugs
- & more!
What to do to Keep Bugs Away Outdoors
Just as you would to keep pests out of your home, it’s important to implement pest prevention in your yard. Some of the ways you can make your yard less attractive to these pests include:
- Regularly clean up your outdoor space. Leftover crumbs or spills will attracts ants and other insects.
- Remove standing water. Mosquitoes only need a half inch of standing water to breed.
- Keep your lawn and shrubs trimmed. Overgrown grass provides mosquitoes and ticks with shelter.
- Be on the lookout for ant hills or wasp nests. Even a tiny mound or nest can contain thousands of insects.
- Thoroughly inspect wood structures. Your deck or porch may be vulnerable to termite or carpenter bees.
- Apply an insect repellent. Store-bought repellent with DEET will help repel mosquitoes and ticks.
- Burn a few citronella candles. While not a long-term solution, this will repel mosquitoes.
- Consider replacing light bulbs. Yellow bulbs or sodium vapor lights will not attract as many insects.
Preventing Lawn and Yard Pests
We all know that pests and insects are a fact of life outdoors. But that doesn’t mean you have to let them ruin your outdoor barbecue or time spent playing with your kids! By preventing pests outdoors, you can help prevent them from getting inside. For more information, the team at Rentokil is here to help.
Tips For Bug-Free Outdoor Living in Salt Lake County and Northern Utah
Serving Northern Utah and Southern Idaho since 1999