You might think that the waning temperatures and increasing rainfall of the fall allow you to take a break from your lawn care routines, but this is the opposite of the case. With a long winter on the horizon, your lawn has to absorb moisture and nutrients during the fall in order to hang on during the cold and stay healthy until spring. If you’re looking to keep your yard in Northern Utah looking its best all year, read on for advice from the experts at Rentokil. Our lawn care experts have laid out some top fall lawn care tips for you!
Why is Fall Lawn Care Important?
It’s important to take care of your lawn in the fall so that it stays healthy through the winter. Fall is the best time to fertilize your lawn because the cooler temperatures and higher chances of rainfall allow your lawn to best absorb its nutrients. The ideal fertilizer contains these nutrients:
- Nitrogen to promote colorful and dense blade growth
- Phosphorus to promote healthy root growth
- Potassium to improve your lawn’s durability
Fall Lawn Care Guide
In order to keep your lawn in top shape through the winter, you can follow these steps:
- Rake often: If leaves accumulate on your lawn, they can become stuck together by rain and morning dew. This suffocates your lawn and causes fungal diseases.
- Mow carefully: During the fall, before you retire your lawnmower for the winter, you can mow your lawn on the lowest setting, making sure not to take off more than one-third of the grass blades.
- Water and aerate: By irrigating your lawn into the fall, along with aeration, you can ensure that your grassroots see the proper amount of water to sustain their health through the winter.
- Kill weeds: If you allow weeds to take in the same nutrients that you’re feeding your lawn, they will grow stronger and healthier in the spring. Take care of your weeds now to prevent this.
Along with your fertilization, these steps should promote strong lawn growth in the spring. Although it might seem futile, patience and time will yield beautiful results!
Professional Lawn Care in Northern Utah
Every lawn is different and requires special attention to bring out its best appearance. If you can’t seem to get it right for your lawn, you can trust your local lawn care company to make the assessments to set you up for success. At Rentokil, we train our lawn care technicians to utilize the most effective and eco-friendly methods and products for lawn care and maintenance in Northern Utah. For a free quote, contact us today!
Late Fall Lawn Care Schedule & Guide in Northern UT in Salt Lake County and Northern Utah
Serving Northern Utah and Southern Idaho since 1999