Many of us have pulled out holiday decorations or old photo albums from our garages only to be met with evidence of pests. Spiders, rodents, and silverfish are some of the most common pests that infest garages, but why? Your garage is in fact a haven for pests with its dark corners and endless food supplies. In order to keep pests away from your garage, it’s important to learn how to make it less inhabitable in the first place. The team at Rentokil is here with their top tips for achieving a pest-free garage year-round.
How to Get a Pest-Free Garage
Keeping pests out of your garage requires many of the same procedures you’d take to prevent them inside your home. This includes:
- Installing weather stripping and using silicone-based caulk to seal cracks and crevices.
- Promptly fixing moisture issues by repairing leaky pipes and using a dehumidifier.
- Storing all food, decorations, and other goods in plastic bins with tight-fitting lids instead of cardboard boxes.
- Keeping your garage clean and tidy by blowing it out once a month and sweeping when necessary.
- Storing all items up off of the ground when possible, and staying as organized as possible.
What Pests Are Common in the Garage?
From cardboard boxes to dusty corners, garages can provide ample shelter for many types of pests. Especially in the winter months, rodents are known to inhabit garages. They will nest in boxes or even make their way into your car for warmth. Spiders are other common garage pests that like to make their webs in boxes and corners. Silverfish are tiny insects that will feed on paper, glue, clothing, and more in your garage. Lastly, flies can be a major garage pest problem in the summer if you leave your garage door open on hot days.
Prevent Pests Throughout Your Property
Dealing with pests anywhere inside or outside your property can be frustrating and even downright dangerous. If you are having trouble keeping pests out of your garage, the expert technicians at Rentokil can help!
Need Help with Moles or Gophers?
5 Steps For a Pest-Free Garage in Salt Lake County and Northern Utah
Serving Northern Utah and Southern Idaho since 1999