As the weather warms up, people are starting to spend more and more time outside. As the world around us seems to come back to life, so do the throngs of pests that have been laying low all winter. All sorts of pests live around Northern UT and Southern ID, so it’s important to learn how to keep your home protected from all of them.
Why Do Bugs Come Out in Spring?
The combination of moisture from rainfall and rising temperatures that spring brings makes insect lives easier. Plants and prey are in newfound abundance, and they are hungry and thirsty after months of hibernation or low activity. These conditions also provide the right environment for many pests to start breeding. Mosquitoes, in particular, are notorious for taking over after rainy springs. This is because mosquitoes lay their eggs on standing water, which accumulates in our yards after rainfall. Some ways to prevent mosquitoes and other spring pests are:
- Pour out standing water in your yard
- Cover pools, birdbaths, and spas when not in use
- Eliminate moisture in your house by keeping it properly ventilated
- Keep your lawn mowed and your trees trimmed regularly
Common Spring Bugs
What other bugs can we expect here this spring? Our technicians at Rentokil have seen many different kinds of infestations year after year, including:
- Ants. Many different kinds of ants come out in the spring, looking to start building their colonies. Depending on your species, they will construct their homes in the ground around your home or in your wooden walls. They’re on the hunt for food and moisture, so make sure to clean up your spills and keep your food sealed and concealed.
- Bees and wasps. There might already be bees or wasps in your home that have been trying to keep warm through the winter. Once the weather gets warmer, they’ll go out in search of a new place to nest and lay eggs. This could mean your roofing, awnings, or backyard, so if you notice an uptick in bees buzzing around your house, let your local bee removal experts know so that they can be removed harmlessly.
- Flies and fleas. As your pets decide to spend more and more time outside, the opportunity for a fly or flea outbreak will rise. Taking your trash out and minimizing the amount of time you leave your doors and windows open will improve your chances of keeping your home pest-free. Installing screens on windows and doors will also help!
Spring Pest Control Experts
As pest season sets in, you might find yourself with new unforeseen problems. No matter what kind of pests you find in your home, the pest control experts at Rentokil have the solution to remove them and ensure that they don’t come back. We have been serving our customers around Northern Utah and Southern Idaho since 1999, building up the experience to be the best in the business. Contact us today for a free quote!
Tips to Control Pests that Come Out in Spring in Salt Lake County and Northern Utah
Serving Northern Utah and Southern Idaho since 1999