If you find your yard torn up with tunnels, seemingly out of the blue, you have unfortunately attracted a mole or gopher problem. Moles and gophers are small mammals with prolific digging habits; they tear through the upper surfaces of our yards to create shelter and find food. Because they spend so much time underground, they can be hard to control. If you’re trying to figure out what’s wreaking havoc on your lawn in Northern Utah, read on for Rentokil’s expert identification tips.
Moles vs. Gophers in Northern Utah
Moles and gophers might be hard to spot, but when you do see them, they can be told apart fairly easily by these differences:
- Moles are smaller than gophers, averaging 4 to 7 inches in length. Gophers can be anywhere from 5 to 14 inches in length.
- Moles can be distinguished by their pink and pronounced hands and noses.
- Gophers are much more territorial, so they are less likely to be found in pairs or groups.
5 Signs of Moles or Gophers in your Lawn or Garden
If you’re wondering whether the damage in your lawn or garden has been caused by gophers or moles, here are five signs of their activity:
- Mounds of dirt will show up overnight on your lawn or in your garden.
- Mole tunnels will cause damage to plant roots, leading to poor growth on the surface.
- When moles tunnel, they cause stones to come up to the surface of your lawn. If you aren’t careful, they can damage your lawnmower.
- Gophers create tunnels with 3-inch wide holes that extend up to six feet underground.
- If you find plants that have been eaten or partially pulled through the surface of your yard, you have found gopher activity.
Both moles and gophers can create eyesores and damage in your yard, so you should be able to tell if either is present on your property.
Mole and Gopher Control in Northern Utah
Moles and gophers have to be dealt with quickly so they don’t destroy your whole lawn or garden. For help getting rid of gophers or moles, ask your local pest control company. Our lawn pest control experts at Rentokil use efficient and effective mole and gopher control strategies to get rid of active vermin and protect you from future infestations. For a free quote or more information on our services, contact us today!
Need Help with Moles or Gophers?
5 Signs of Moles or Gophers Living in Your Lawn in Salt Lake County and Northern Utah
Serving Northern Utah and Southern Idaho since 1999