It’s almost springtime in Northern Utah and Southern Idaho! Many people welcome the warming temperatures with open arms. Unfortunately, the start of spring is also the start of the pest season. As winter comes to a close, pests that were less active throughout the year will come back out with a vengeance! To protect your property from the many pest threats this time of year, it’s best to implement pest prevention measures into your spring cleaning routine this year. Keep reading for expert tips from the team here at Rentokil.
What Pests Are Common in Spring?
While some of these pests are active year-round, there tends to be a peak in activity this time of year. The pests you should be aware of in spring include:
- Ants. Warming temperatures encourage ants to start invading once more.
- Flies. In the spring and summer, flies are more active than ever and can be a big nuisance.
- Rodents. Although they’re active year-round, rats and mice are a problem in the spring.
- Stinging insects. Wasps and hornets are gearing up to build nests this time of year.
- Stink bugs. After overwintering, people report a resurgence in stink bugs.
Avoiding Spring Pest Problems
This time of year, many people plan to spring clean their properties. There’s no better time to implement pest prevention into the mix! Some of our tips to prevent pests from finding your home the ideal place to infest include:
- Thoroughly cleaning your windows and doors. Seal any cracks or crevices.
- Deep-cleaning your carpets and rugs. Vacuum, shampoo, or even steam-clean the surface.
- Sanitizing and cleaning your kitchen with a focus on your appliances. Crumbs and spilled liquids will welcome all sorts of bugs and pests.
- Removing debris from your yard, and trim any shrubs or tree branches away from your home. Clear out your gutters and downspouts.
- Checking on plumbing and pipes. Quickly address any leaks or blockages.
- Keeping a tidy home at all times. Clean under furniture, wipe down surfaces, and inspect areas of your home that need some fixing up.
Professional Seasonal Pest Control
Without a doubt, your best defense against a pest infestation this season is to work with a professional exterminator. Our Rentokil team will work with you to develop a pest control plan suited to the unique needs of your property