Can I Prevent Bed Bugs When Purchasing Used Furniture?
One of the more common ways bed bugs are brought into homes is when people unknowingly buy and bring infested used furniture or items inside. The good news is that it’s easy to avoid this risk by thoroughly checking the furniture before bringing it indoors.
To prevent bed bugs when purchasing used furniture:
- Avoid buying upholstered used furniture.
- Inspect all items you buy.
- Have items treated by a professional before bringing indoors.
- Never bring in free furniture from the curb!
How to Inspect Used Furniture for Bed Bugs
Before buying secondhand furniture, it’s important to do your part in ensuring it’s not infested with bed bugs. Here’s how:
- Look for small black spots or bloodstains. This is a top indicator of bed bug activity, whether they’re active or not.
- Always check the undersides and inside the cracks of tables, shelves, bed frames, and other furnishings.
- Look in furniture joints, seams, creases, crevices, cracks, voids, and more. Bed bugs can hide in screw holes and other tiny spaces.
- If you see anything suspicious, don’t take the risk and avoid bringing the furniture into your home.
Do You Have a Bed Bug Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
Why Does Used Furniture Have Bed Bugs?
Not all used furniture has a bed bug problem. People all around the country buy second-hand furniture that is completely safe and bed bug-free. However, many people will donate furniture from a past bed bug infestation. When going to buy second-hand furniture, it’s simply best practice to thoroughly inspect all items before bringing them into your home.
Can You Get Rid of Bed Bugs in Used Furniture?
When shopping around for furniture, it’s important to tell the seller or store owner if and when any evidence of bed bugs is found. While some may offer refunds, it’s up to the seller. If you’re wishing to salvage the piece of furniture even with bed bugs, it’s best to consult a professional bed bug exterminator on the best way to get rid of the bugs. Always leave the infested furniture outdoors to avoid bugs getting into your property.
Can I Prevent Bed Bugs When Purchasing Used Furniture? in Salt Lake County and Northern Utah
Serving Northern Utah and Southern Idaho since 1999